Feel your WordPress plugin page needs a little something more? Then try adding a banner!

It seems this little under advertised feature of the WordPress.org plugin directory is really easy to do and makes your page look that much better. I recently added a banner to Simply Poll plugin page and it looks really swish now.

Here’s the 3 steps to doing so:

1. You need to create a PNG image with the dimensions 772 pixels wide by 250 pixels heigh. Note: make sure you don’t put anything critical towards the bottom left of the image as this is where the name of the plugin appears.
  2. Create a new folder within the root of your plugin’s subversion directory called `assets` and save the image in that folder with the file name `banner-772x250.png`
  3. svn stat the SVN folder and then commit and you’ll have yourself a banner on the plugin page.

I’m interested to see if this increases the number of downloads for a plugin as it does make the page stand out more so than other plugin pages.

Technology

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Yannick Lefebvre says:

Thanks for the information. By the way, you have a typo in the word Functionality in your plugin banner image.

2. Yannick Lefebvre says:

This article definitely helped. What threw me for a loop is that I originally read a similar article on another site that had something other than a lower-case x between the two numbers in the file name. Since I did a copy / paste there, I had that strange x-looking character and WordPress would not display the image.

• Decker W Brower says:

Thanks a lot for pointing out the X character Yannick I was having the same problem and it was driving me nuts!

3. Eduardo says:

Hi! I’m trying to do a commit from assets folder, but an error is displayed. “… is not a working copy”

svn ci -m “message”

What is wrong? Can you help me?

• Neil Sweeney says:

Hi Eduardo,

You have hit on my major dislike of SVN in that it does stupid things like that! Have a go at running these commnands and see if it then works:

$ mv assets assets_
      $ svn cleanup
      $ svn revert assets
      $ mv assets_/ assets
      $ svn add assets

(source)

Hope that helps!

4. Jan says:

wish i had read the comments sooner, ran into the same problem copying the filename with the wrong x-character. everybody make sure the character is an actual x, not some x-like cross!

5. […] Add Banner to your WordPress.org Plugin Page by Neil Sweeney (@WolfieZero) (2012) […]

6. Hi Neil,

Nice post. I just linked your post from a post a I wrote that discusses adding a banner for a WordPress plugin.

7. Schurpf says:

Just for anybody wondering why his banner doesnt show correctly, it is:

banner-772×250.png (with lower case x)

(and NOT banner-772×250.png with × for multiplication)

note the lower case x

8. cbfreeman says:

Hi,

How to I change the image that is associated with my wp plugin information in the search results for ‘ADD PLUGIN’ IN WORDPRESS?

Thanks